Retiring Early

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Early Retirement Forum

ready to retireWhen I read the great post back at pfstock's blog, I can't help but feel some bit of camradarie. S/he mentions a few of my favorite retirement forums that I have actively lurked around for the last few years. In particular, the Early Retirement Forum.

Truth be told, I have thought about writing a series of posts about what I learned on these Forums over the last several years, and I still may do so. Introducing them seems like a first good first step.

The Young Dreamers board is filled with your 20s, 30s and above folks who dream about retiring early one day. Some of the folks are just learning what early retirement means and how to get started working towards it. What is good is that some of the "been there, done that" crowd from the other boards check in here and give great advice. The support in this community is unparalleled.

The FIRE and Money board is filled with folks actively trying to hit "the" number. These guys are mostly talking about investments and the state of the market. (By the way, FIRE stands for Financially Independent, Retired Early)

Finally, the Life after FIRE board contains a number of lively discussions about folks living in early retirement. Some of these folks are in their 40s, 50s and above, but I have to admit, this board is the most interesting of the three. When reading the discussions on this board, I can't help but feel that I'm a fly on the wall listening to a conversation amongst great friends. This board has a great feel and I usually spend my time here even though I probably belong in the other two.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I hope you enjoy these boards (actively or passively) as much as I do.
del.icio.us del.icio.us

2 Comments:

  • At 10/20/2006 3:41 PM, Blogger pfstock said…

    Thank you for mentioning my post in your blog. I'm a HE, by the way. I thought this was apparent from my profile and the fact that I mentioned my wife in a couple of posts. Even so, I guess that you can't be too sure nowadays.

    To have "actively lurked" sounds like an oxymoron to me. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing your summary of what you've learned from the early retirement forums.

     
  • At 10/21/2006 8:10 AM, Blogger fin_indie said…

    Thanks for the clarification. :)
    Your writing tone definitely reads like a "HE", but you never can be sure. I must have missed the wife reference...

    re: "actively lurked": It's not really an oxymoron. What if i lurked outside your window for a persistent 365 days a year? Not that I would do that, but it's pretty active, right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home