Retiring Early

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Tag, I'm it.

I wasn't quick enough to dodge the tag that Madame X put on me a week or two ago (while I was on vacation, nonetheless!) Ok, so here they are -- 5 obsessions of mine:
  1. I'm a HUGE outdoors fan -- especially if it involves mountains, I'm in. Things like hiking, biking, snowboarding, rock climbing, running, or any combination of these will do.
  2. As much as I try to deny it, I cannot lie: I like technology stuff. Gadgets, software, home automation junk, etc. I really like taking "some of this" and "some of that" and making them work together in a way that makes people go "wow, that's really cool!". I am somewhat limited to what I can do these days because I'm no longer a software developer, but you would be amazed by what you can do with a little tinkering. For instance, I can control the lights, thermostat, web-cam and security system from a web browser anywhere in the world, including from my cellphone. Controlling your house from a cellphone is GEEKY stuff, but you have to admit, it's pretty interesting that it can be done.
  3. Ok, on to #3: As you can probably glean from this blog, I am obsessed with all things that lead to financial freedom. I don't particularly like money for what it can buy, but for the freedom it brings. There isn't a day that goes by without me having thoughts about getting there sooner. As I've said before, freedom means working because I want to, not because I have to. It's that simple.
  4. Don't take this one the wrong way, but I am also obsessed with great food. I LOVE great coffee. I LOVE great wine. I LOVE great beer. I LOVE great cheese. I LOVE fresh organic vegetables. I LOVE interesting new food preparations -- crazy things like blue-cheese stuffed dates. We treat ourselves every now and then to restaurants that serve this kind of stuff, but in general, it's too expensive. With that in mind, and given all of the natural food, unbelievable markets and overall variety of food you can get in Washington state, it's quite easy to enjoy this stuff without emptying your wallet. The other challenge on this front is balancing a food obsession with fitness. :)
  5. ... and finally, I really, really love to travel. With my first overseas trip for work in 1997, I've been on countless other overseas trips for both work and pleasure. I've done everything from 4-star hotels in Tokyo, to backpacking through third-world countries, and everything in between. I'm by nature a curious guy, so putting me in places and cultures that hold mysteries and an infinite amount of things to explore is incredible. Traveling has truly expanded my mind and sense of compassion.
Ok, my turn: How about hearing the same from: Stealthbucks, Finance Girl, PFblog, Naked Networth, and Sitting Pretty.
del.icio.us del.icio.us

2 Comments:

  • At 5/02/2007 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey, that would be my list too! oh, except for the gadget one. gadgets i love, but they don't love back (e.g. they tend to do very inexplicable things when they don't work).

    I'll list mine tomorrow! :-)

     
  • At 5/02/2007 9:29 AM, Blogger fin_indie said…

    It's true, gadgets have their problems at times, but that is part of the challenge for some people.

    Looking forward to your list!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home